Saturday, December 27, 2008

Two Nations Divided By a Common Language

As Twain says.

I ran across this little example yesterday, in Sayers' Busman's Honeymoon:

...'I beg your pardon,' said Miss Twitterton, leading the way into a sitting-room furnished with a suite in green velvet and walnut veneer, and a surprising variety of knick-knacks, 'for receiving you like this - do please sit down, Lady Peter - I do hope you will both forgive my attire - dear me! - but my house is a little lonely and it's only a short time ago since my hen-roost was robbed - and really, the whole thing is so inexplicable, I scarcely know what to think - it really is most upsetting - so peculiar of uncle - what you must be thinking of both of us I cannot imagine.'

'Only that it's a great shame to knock you up at this time of night,' said Peter.

Which in America would mean happy issue in 9 months, but in the UK simply requests admittance. Also, note the single quote marks enclosing speech (rather than the American double).

No comments: