Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Advice from Previous Students: Lori


1. What should I know ahead of time? You can learn to get along with pretty much anyone. If you have an issue with someone, talk to them about it soon and don't let it fester and annoy you. And don't talk about it behind their backs because that's just stupid. Also, take your own pictures because as much as everyone says they'll share pictures, it doesn't work out so well. And don't pick up a British accent, even if you think it sounds cool, because you won't.

2. What should I bring? Bring several good journals. A push for my personal favorites: buy/bring Pentalic brand moleskin sketchbooks. You can find them in the basement of the BYU bookstore near the sketchbooks. They are brightly colored and cheaper than Moleskin brand. They are the greatest and I have about fifteen. And if you don't have them already, you should get some Chacos because they are great all-purpose shoes and make fun tan lines. Bring a good water bottle and carry it with you (with water, and drink from it. I think I saw a total of two drinking fountains in England).

3. What should I leave behind? You don't need very many clothes at all. This means something like 2-3 pairs of pants and 5-6 shirts. Even with this, I had things I rarely wore (and this is coming from someone who loves clothes and variety). Bring fewer clothes and then buy fun clothes while you're there. And England is fairly civilized so if you forget to pack something, don't stress out about it because you can buy it there.

4. What should I absolutely do or see no matter what? You should definitely go to Evensong several times. I also went to a Quaker meeting and mass and everything like that I could get to and I am so very glad I did. Also, talk to everyone you can and ask for directions from random people 'cause they're nice. And if this is a program stuck in London, go visit the countryside.

5. What should I miss? Don't feel bad about spending time on your own and not with the group. I loved hanging out with everyone but some of my best times were wandering on my own. And it won't ruin your experience if you miss out on blood sausage for breakfast.

6. What attitude should I take with me (as an American, student, traveler, etc)? Be willing to do things you might not normally do and talk to people you wouldn't normally talk to. This means not hanging out with your headphones in all the time. And it's okay if you look like a tourist/American. As far as souvenirs go, spend money on experiences and not just stuff. And look for neat experiences that don't cost money.

7. What can I expect from the experience? Expect to spend a lot of money--but don't feel bad about it. I kept telling myself that when I'm old and fifty dollars doesn't seem like a lot of money, I'll be glad I had spent it on something awesome in England.

No comments: