Saturday, January 15, 2011

News (Sources) From the UK

I decided to start reading the London newspapers online again to catch up on what is happening there before we move back to Palace Court at the end of June. I have several favorite sources, including:

The Guardian, lefty-Labour
The Independent, a little left of center
The Times, establishment and Tory to the bone
The Daily Mail, the Beck/Limbaugh end of the spectrum
and of course The BBC, great for world news even if you live in the USA.

Things have changed a lot in the past two years, and it takes some reading to remind me of our divergent terminology. The Liberal Democrats are now in a (shaky) coalition government with the Conservatives while Labour is on the outs (remember that in other parts of the world, "liberal" and "democrat" often mean right of center--I mean centre); the Brits are suffering from the effects of their own housing bubble and economic downturn; "sports" are/is called "sport" with headlines like "West Ham 0-3 Arsenal: Robin van Persie scores twice as ruthless Arsenal put struggling West Ham to the sword in a match tipped to be Avram Grant's last as Hammers boss" which I'm sure I'll understand completely by say September 2011.

Even though I'm tremendously looking forward to being there again, the time to prepare is rushing by.

No comments: