Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Advice from Previous Students: Tina

1. What should I know ahead of time?

Stores close early, like right when you get to town. Calling home more than once a week is a ridiculous idea (it's hard to coordinate and not necessary). Unisex/public showers 95% of the time. It's can be cold and wet. Alone time and even freetime can be far and far between. Enjoy every minute of the ride.

2. What should I bring?

A good raincoat. A reliable pretty good camera (and something to put it in). A travel towel- It dries fast and is compact. Dryer sheets. Some plastic sandwich bags to rainproof stuff. Bags to organize your luggage. Extra underwear (to go longer between laundry). TUPPERWARE, saved my life, I love it. Secret stash of granola bars/snacks. Money.

3. What should I leave behind?

Cell phone, computer (although it was nice to use sometimes...) Multiple "cute" outfits or types of clothing not necessary.

4. What should I do or see no matter what?

This is going to be different for each person. People had different passions and fetishes and idols. I went for walks/runs in each town and saw the most of everything I could see. You have to see the well known stuff (like Shakespear's grave and platform 9 3/4 just to say you did. *Even if you are tired GO ON THE HIKE along the Jurrasic coast (Lulworth-). Eat clotted cream and scones and pasty's. Shop down Portabello Road and walk through Harrods in London. Take advantage of any random special events! Don't miss out on time to chill and play with the group either, that's important.

5. What should I miss?

Sleep. And I wished I would have missed group dinner sometimes and gone out to eat something local. And again this varies for each person just be content with what you miss, I missed a tour of Parliament and a scholarly lecture but I was and am satisfied with the needed alone time I got instead.

6. What attitude should I take with me (as an American, student, traveler, etc)?

Joy in the journey. Savor and enjoy every minute of the adventure. Take advantage of everything you want to, have no regrets.

7. What can I expect from the experience?

A new understanding and sense of self. Uniqe and close friendships. Strengthened writing skils. Aweome pictures journal entries and essays. Most of all expect, great stories and memories from a once-in-a lifetime experience.

PS from Karla to 2011 students: Previous students went on the "hiking the landscape" program rather than the "artist colony" program that we will be doing this year, which may explain why their advice seems a little tilted toward surviving hiking, rain, youth hostels, and the English countryside. But don't worry--we will take as many out-of-London trips as we can while you are there.

No comments: