Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Advice from Previous Students: Tiffany

1. What should I know ahead of time? um. know that you need lots of money to eat lots of candy bars. and then remember to eat a candy bar every day. actually several times a day. try all of the candies you find.

2. What should I bring? a few clothes and a journal and money. stuffed animal (but don't lose your precious one!)

3. What should I leave behind? swimsuit--go skinny dipping (trust me, there are places). books--you'll end up buying plenty if you visit the awesome used bookstores. don't bring too many clothes because you'll get new ones and it's a hassle to have too much junk.

4. What should I absolutely do or see no matter what? your surroundings. look up. keep your eyes up and don't watch your feet when you walk. If you are in a town and see something that looks cool, then go see it. Don't worry too much about being with lots of people if they don't want to do what you want to do. Just go do it. Talk to people. People in shops, and hostels and wherever you are--especially at church (whether it's LDS or not), and people in your study group. You will appreciate the people you get to know far more than you will the landscapes you see.

5. What should I miss? Anything you think will be boring, because it probably will be. I had more fun riding the tube than I did visiting the Tower of London, because I liked feeling more like a real person than a tourist...so take time to just be a person and hold back on the touristy stuff especially if you're tired and your feet hurt. Don't take pictures of EVERY SINGLE PLACE. just relax and remember to be in the moment. You'll remember it more fondly.

6. What attitude should I take with me (as an American, student, traveler, etc)? be cautious, but not too much. Just enjoy stuff. be open to new people and new ideas of all kinds.

7. What can I expect from the experience? nothing. You will not get what you expect, I guarantee it. But, it will change you in ways that only you will know...and for the most part it will be awesome. but remember that everyone has bad days and you can't be expected to be happy all the time just because you're in England...although that is pretty cool.

No comments: