Thursday, May 7, 2009

April 30 Blog Post by Rachel

Our last day in Edinburgh. I, at least, will miss this beautiful city. It was nice to have a free day just to explore and do anything. And there is so much to do here. I still have so much I wanted to do, but we leave tomorrow. It was fun, though, to just wander and run into friends on the Royal Mile and across the city. Some explored the National Gallery, some the library. Others roamed the parks or shopped. No matter the activity, I’m pretty sure everyone enjoyed themselves and had at least one adventure. We are in Scotland, after all.

After dinner, we all traipsed across Edinburgh to go see Copenhagen by Michael Frayne. My four adjectives for it: brilliant, terrifying, inspiring, and mind-boggling. The premise is Nils Bohr, his wife, and Werner Heisenberg meeting now to discuss their meeting in 1941. No one really knows what the meeting in 1941 was about, besides that it was in the midst of WWII and the race to build an atomic weapon. The play raised questions of right and wrong, memories and what did and didn’t happen, acting and choices, and, above all, the uncertainty of life and how we deal with it. Millions of questions and thoughts ran through my mind the entire night, and considering my company I’m sure I was not alone. Or am I? Everything’s uncertain. Still, through all the uncertainty, God is able to still be there as a steady, certain light.

On our way home we saw the fires on Calton Hill from Beltane, the Pagan festival. Very cool, until you think about what they’re actually doing, and then it scares me half to death. I think some people might be going up to check it out though. I, for one, am too exhausted to even think about it and we have a fairly early, must-be-prompt start tomorrow

No comments: